Bruce A. McKenna
Bruce McKenna practises in all areas of commercial real estate, title insurance, environmental, franchise and lease law, including related matters. He is one of the foremost Canadian experts on title insurance policies and frequently advises title insurers and lenders, as well as insured purchasers of property. Bruce is contributing editor of Canada's only standard reference text on title insurance, and has spoken and written on the topic for the Canadian Bar Association - Ontario, the American Land Title Association, the New York Law Journal and the New York Land Title Association.
In his real estate work, Bruce has worked on some of Canada's largest real estate purchase and sale transactions. He was a leading member of the Lang Michener (prior to McMillan merger) team that advised Rogers Communications Inc. on its purchase of the Toronto SkyDome (now renamed the Rogers Centre) from Sportsco International, and that counseled on the Bank of Montreal sale of its interest in First Canadian Place in Toronto to The Manufacturer's Life Insurance Company for C$120 million and since then The Manufacturer's Life Insurance Company with their ongoing activities at First Canadian Place. He has acted for the Toronto Port Authority in negotiating and settling various lease and operating agreements involved in the operation of the Toronto City Centre Airport. Bruce has also acted on an number of recent shopping centre and development acquisitions. He has acted for Bank of Montreal on the negotiation of its primary lease at First Canadian Place and for a number of other tenant clients.
An important aspect of Bruce's real estate counsel is his ability to advise clients on a variety of due diligence matters in connection with real estate transactions. He frequently assists with environmental issues, including records of site conditions and the environmental site registry.
Bruce brings a rare multi-dimensional perspective to his real estate practice. By advising participants on all sides of the negotiating table (including lenders, insurers, institutional investors and other property purchasers) in a wide spectrum of industries, he has a practical understanding of what it takes to complete property transactions efficiently and effectively. And because he provides comprehensive due diligence guidance on everything from environmental to organizational matters, Bruce is able to negotiate and document deals that minimize potential problems and maximize the ability of clients to achieve their business goals.
- Canadian Bar Association - Real Estate, Municipal and Environmental Sections
- Editorial Board, CCH Ontario Real Estate Law Guide
- Director, Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption (Canada)
- Past Group Instructor and Assistant to the Section Leader, Real Estate Section, Bar Admission Course.
- Lectures and writes extensively on title insurance, due diligence and conflicts matters.
publications and presentations
- Acts for industrial property owners, food service industry clients, a petroleum company and major institutional holders of properties.
- Handles acquisitions, dispositions, financings, leasing activities, development enterprises, franchise operations and environmental audits.
- Acted for Kraft Canada Inc. in the sale of its Post cereal brand assets to a subsidiary of Ralcorp Holdings, Inc., the parent corporation of Ralston Foods Inc.
- Acts for Bayfield Realty Advisors on a number of Shopping Centre acquisitions, restructurings and financings across the country.
- Acts for Monarch Corporation on a variety of condominium development and sale issues.
- Acted in respect of the sale of the interest of Bank of Montreal in First Canadian Place to the Manufacturer's Life Insurance Company and now acts on ongoing operational activities in connection with the First Canadian Place for the Manufacturer's Life Insurance Company.
- Was responsible for major acquisition of a Canadian food-service chain of more than 1,000 sites in 1995 including extensive title, environmental, franchise and organizational investigations.
- Acted on another major acquisition of a Canadian food-service chain of more than 400 restaurants in 1999 responsible for title and environmental insurance, loan and title issues.
- Acts for various parties and brokers in Sale and Leaseback Transactions.
- Acts for a number of parties related to title insurance matters, including various title insurers active in Canada and Canadian lending institutions as well as representing insured purchasers and lenders.
- Acts in respect of ongoing operational activities in connection with First Canadian Place and the sale of the interests of the Bank of Montreal in First Canadian Place to The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company.
Bruce McKenna is the Contributing Editor to the only Canadian book on Title Insurance, Title Insurance: A Guide to Regulation Coverage and the Claims Process in Ontario (November 1999).
Bruce McKenna writes the Title Insurance Sections of Professional Duties and Responsibilities," "Mortgages" and "Title Conveyancing," CCH Ontario Real Estate Law Guide, CCH Canadian Limited, October, 1997, May 1998, May 1999, December 2002, November 2003, April 2004, August 2004 and August 2009.
Bruce McKenna wrote the Planning Act Section CCH Ontario Real Estate Law Guide, CCH Canadian Limited, Fall 1996.
Bruce McKenna is one of the contributing editors to the Leases Division of O'Brien's Encyclopedia of Forms, the principal Editor or which is William A. Rowlands, a partner at McMillan LLP.
Bruce McKenna has made numerous presentations and is the author of numerous articles including: