David Dunlop is a Senior Partner and a member of McMillan's Management Committee. David primarily assists clients in the acquisition and sale of businesses, private equity transactions, corporate finance, corporate governance and outsourcing. He has extensive experience in negotiating transactions and complex commercial arrangements.
David regularly advises clients on all components of corporate/commercial matters. He has acted for many domestic and international clients assisting in corporate establishment, restructuring and operations. He has been seconded twice to act as interim general counsel of a multinational financing corporation.
Prior to attending law school and joining the firm, David was employed for four years with Xerox Canada Inc. and Hallmark Cards. He has extensive field sales and marketing experience in connection with commercial and consumer products and services.
David holds a Bachelor of Commerce in addition to his LLB and was called to the Ontario Bar in 1989.
McMillan lawyers recognized in Lexpert's Special Edition Report on Canada's Leading Energy Lawyers 2016
61 McMillan lawyers recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada 2017
McMillan lawyers well-represented in the 2016 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
McMillan LLP announces new firm management model and leadership team
Seven McMillan lawyers recognized in Lexpert's Special Edition Report on Canada's Leading Energy Lawyers 2015
60 McMillan lawyers recognized in the 10th Edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada
McMillan lawyers are well represented in the 2015 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
McMillan lawyers recognized in the 2015 Best Lawyers in Canada
McMillan lawyers are well represented in the 2014 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2013 Recognizes 44 McMillan Leading Practitioners
Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2012 Recognizes 39 McMillan Leading Practitioners
David Dunlop discusses the CBC going private on The Source with Ezra Levant
- Queen's University, LLB - 1987
- University of Toronto, B.Comm. - 1981
Year Of Call
- Called to the Ontario bar - 1989
franchising and distribution
manufacturing, distribution and retail
private equity - buyouts & venture capital investment
food, beverage and agribusiness
Awards & Rankings
- Recognized by Lexpert in the Special Edition Report on Canada's Leading Energy Lawyers 2016
- Listed in the Best Lawyers in Canada 2017 as a leading lawyer in the area of Corporate Law
- Listed in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2016 as a leading practitioner in the area of Corporate Mid-Market Law
- Recognized by Lexpert in the Report on Business Magazine 2015 as a "Leading Lawyer"
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- "Privatizing Public Assets", The Sources with Ezra Levant (Sun TV), August 23, 2011
- "Winnipeg Jets return to the National Hockey League", Winnipeg Free Press, May 27, 2011
- "National Hockey League and Franchise Movement", TSN Radio, May 26, 2011