- Partner as of 1982
- Chair, National Privacy and Access Law Section, Canadian Bar Association (2007-2008)
- Chair, National Business Law Section, Canadian Bar Association (2000-2002)
David Young is a partner in the firm's Toronto office and is a member of the Privacy Law and Competition and Marketing Law Groups. David practices commercial law with an emphasis on privacy law, regulatory matters, marketing, and e-commerce law.
David advises clients on all aspects of privacy law including employee privacy, personal health information, security, consent documentation, access to information and organizational procedures. David participated in submissions to Industry Canada respecting the 2006 Review of the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. He also participated in submissions to the Ontario Ministry of Government Services respecting Ontario's Consumer Protection Act, 2002 and the draft Privacy of Personal Information Act.
David's practice also includes advising on corporate regulatory compliance, food and drug compliance and advertising, marketing and distribution law matters. He also advises on e-commerce matters including transactions and contracting, website development, online advertising and marketing issues and the security of transactions.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in Canada 2011, 2012 and 2013 as a leader in Advertising & Marketing Law and Insurance Law.
- Recognized in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2011 and 2012, as a leading practitioner in Advertising and Marketing Law.
- Listed in the PLCWhich Lawyer? Yearbook 2009 as a recommended practitioner in Life Sciences, Regulatory.
- Listed in the Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, American Lawyer Media/Lexpert Publishing 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003.
- Recommended as a prominent practitioner in the PLCCross-border Life Sciences Handbook 2007/2008/2009.
David Young has been quoted in the following articles:
- "Ruling Prohibits Banks from Sharing Mortgage Data", Andi Balla, CanadianLawyerMag.com, January 20, 2011
- "Privacy Rights," Matt Galloway, Metro Morning, April 8, 2010.
- "Bill S-4 Tightens Noose Around Identity Thieves," Kathleen Lau, ITWorldCanada, January 11, 2010.
- "American Carbon Rules Raise Concerns," Daryl-Lynn Carlson, Law Times, November 23, 2009.
- "Government Aims to Streamline Energy Approvals," Daryl-Lynn Carlson, Law Times, November 23, 2009.
- Guest, Segment on cameras being set up in downtown Toronto, (Stephen LeDrew), CP24, October 23, 2009.
- "Facebook Agreement with Canada Will Impact Everyone," Jennifer Kavur, Computer World Canada, August 28, 2009.
- "CRTC Action Against Pesky Telemarketers 'Too Little, Too Late'," Nestor E. Arellano, IT Business.ca, August 28, 2009.
- "Canada Takes Leading Role in Facebook Privacy Issues," Jennifer Kavur, Computer World Canada, August 19, 2009.
- "Controversy Rages Over Internet Privacy Rights," Glenn Kauth, Law Times, June 8, 2009.
- "CIPO Puts Privacy First", Helen Burnett, Canadian Lawyer, May 2008.
- "Social Networking Sites Pit Marketers Against Personal Privacy", Louise Gagnon, Tech Media Reports.ca, April 3, 2008.
- "What You Don't Know Can Hurt You", Sinclair Stewart, The Globe and Mail, January 24, 2007.
On July 20, 2009, David appeared on the television show Legal Briefs, hosted by Lorne Honickman on CP24 to discuss the Canadian Privacy Commissioner's recent response to privacy violation complaints on a popular social networking site. On June 24, 2008, David appeared on the television show Legal Briefs, hosted by Lorne Honickman on CP24 to discuss identity theft.
David's work includes advising clients on matters such as:
publications and presentations
- Regulatory compliance matters including corporate policies, internal audits, enforcement actions, product compliance and compliance procedures.
- Privacy law matters including employee privacy, security, compliance procedures and documentation, information audits, privacy policies, consent documentation, organizational procedures and practices, compliance procedures, access to information and regulatory matters.
- Advertising, marketing and distribution law matters, including: agency contracts; distribution, franchising and other commercial relationships; advertising reviews; promotions; food, drug, cosmetics, medical devices; advertising of alcoholic beverages; product liability and product warranties; misleading advertising litigation; trade disputes before Advertising Standards Canada.
- Food, drug and medical device product approvals and licensing.
- E-commerce matters, including: transactions and contracting; web site development; online advertising and marketing issues; security of transactions and privacy issues; consumer protection issues; intellectual property rights; jurisdiction and multi-national law issues.
David Young is co-author of Canadian Advertising and Marketing Law , (Carswell-Thomson Professional Publishing) and author of Advertising Services Agreement - Commentary and Model Agreement (3rd Edition) published by the Association of Canadian Advertisers.
David has also written articles on privacy law, advertising and marketing and competition law including:
- business law
- advertising, marketing & promotions
- audits & compliance policies
- pricing & distribution advice
- franchising & distribution
- government relations / public advocacy
- consumer privacy
- employee privacy
- health privacy law
- insurance privacy issues
- advertising & marketing
- advertising agencies
- consumer products companies
- promotional and marketing firms
- consumer products / retailing
- environment, energy & emissions trading
- family owned businesses
- health care & life sciences
- internet & information technology
- Canadian Bar Association - National Privacy and Access Law Section; National Business Law Section; Competition Law Section
- Ontario Bar Association – Past Chair, Business Law Section and Chair, Consumer Committee; Information Technology and Electronic Commerce Section; Media and Communications Law Section
- Canadian Marketing Association - Member, Ethics and Privacy Committee, Mobile Task Force
Called to the Ontario bar
Osgoode Hall Law School, LLB
McGill University, BA (Hons.)