Eric Vallières is a Montreal litigator specializing in high-end sophisticated litigation, with a focus on class actions, as well as anti-trust, aviation and bankruptcy cases.
Co-Chair, Competition, Quebec
Éric has extensive commercial litigation experience, having represented clients before commercial courts, specialized tribunals and arbitration panels in a wide range of industries, including in the banking industry, in securities matters, and in telecommunications.
Éric has significant experience advising and representing multinational corporations, trade associations, financial institutions, private equity funds (and other venture capitalists), distressed businesses and insolvency accountants on all aspects of Canadian insolvency law, including debt restructuring matters, turnaround scenarios, straight bankruptcy liquidations, and matters relating to trusts and Canadian banking laws in general.
Éric also advises and represents clients on matters relating to the Competition Act. He has recently been advising clients on alleged price fixing conspiracies and cases of abuse of dominance.
In recent years, Éric has been very active in the aviation industry, representing airlines and international organizations in a wide array of litigation cases, including aviation related cross-border litigation and the restructuring of major airlines. He also routinely advises aviation clients on regulatory matters.
He also advises and represents financial institutions in connection with the liquidation of mutual funds. Specifically, Éric has been representing institutional trustees and other industry players in court, as well as before securities authorities.
He also provides advice to various industry stakeholders in regards to setting up of various forms of trusts and mutual funds.
Éric is a frequent speaker in Canada and abroad in areas relating to commercial litigation, bankruptcy, aviation and competition matters.
publications and presentations
- Recommended in Chambers Global 2013 for Competition/Antitrust: Litigators (Canada)
- Selected as one of the leading aviation lawyers in Canada by the International Who's Who - Aviation Lawyers, 2010
- Listed as a litigator to watch in the 2009 and 2010 Lexpert® Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers in Canada
- 2008 and 2009 Finalist at the Lexpert® Rising Stars Leading Lawyers under 40
- Commonwealth and FCAR Scholar (1992)
- Highest grades in Commercial Law, Université Laval (1991)
- Best Pleader and Factum of the Pierre-Basile-Migneault Moot Court Competition (1991)
- CANPRO for the best Canadian television program in Public Affairs (1985)
- competition and antitrust litigation
- debt products
- financial services litigation
- insolvency and restructuring litigation
- international arbitration and litigation
- Turnaround Management Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Association des diplômés de l'Université Laval
- Canadian Insolvency Foundation
Called to the Quebec bar
King's College, London, United Kingdom, LLM (with honours)
Université Laval, LLB (gold medalist)