Greg McIlwain is a Partner in the Business Law Group in the firm's Toronto office. His practice focuses on transactions involving international and domestic mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, reorganizations and joint ventures. Greg also advises U.S. and international businesses on establishing and structuring their Canadian operations.
Greg has worked for businesses of all sizes in a wide range of industries including mining, forestry, telecommunications, financial services, insurance, retail, travel, real estate and entertainment. Through this broad range of experience, he has developed expertise structuring, negotiating and implementing multifaceted transactions and complex commercial agreements.
Greg also assists international and domestic clients in the purchase, sale, lease and financing of corporate aircraft.
Greg received his J.D. from the University of Toronto in 2003. Prior to attending law school, he completed his bachelor of commerce at the Queen's School of Business, where he graduated with first class honours. Greg summered and articled with the firm, and was called to the Ontario bar in 2004.
- Acting for Verisk Analytics, Inc. in Canada in its acquisition of 3E Company.
- Acting for Accubid Systems Inc. in its acquisition by Trimble Navigation Systems Ltd.
- Acting for Georgia-Pacific LLC in its acquisition of Grant Forest Products Inc.'s oriented strand board (OSB) facilities in Canada and the U.S. for US$400 million.
- Acting for Teck Resources Limited in the sale of its 50% interest in the Hemlo Mines to an affiliate of Barrick Gold Corporation for C$65 million.
- Acting for Associated Proteins Limited Partnership in its C$64 million plus working capital asset purchase by Viterra Inc.
- Acting for Teck Cominco Limited in its acquisition of Global Copper Corp. by way of a plan of arrangement for aggregate proceeds of approximately C$415 million.
- Acting for Kraft Canada Inc. in its sale of its Del Monte/ Aylmer/ Primo business division.
- Acting for Rogers Communications Inc. in its acquisition of Aurora Cable TV Limited.
- Acting itravel2000.com in its acquisition by Travelzest plc for C$51.5 million
- Structuring of investment by UK subscribers in production financing for Canadian premiere of hit West End musical.
- Drafting celebrity endorsement agreement with Juno award-winning Canadian musician.
- Implementing production financing and related contractual arrangements for The Lord of the Rings, We Will Rock You and other theatrical productions.
- Acting for producer of live concerts in its acquisition of a global merchandising company representing trademarked properties in music, entertainment and lifestyle.
publications and presentations
- Acting for the purchaser of a Challenger 850 corporate jet in connection with the ownership structuring, financing, acquisition and operating agreement.
- Acting for the seller of a Challenger 604 corporate jet.
- Acting for the purchaser of a Commander 114 aircraft in connection with acquisition, co-ownership and usage agreements.
- Acting for the seller of a Challenger 850 corporate jet.
Contributing Editor, Aviation chapter, O'Brien's Encyclopedia of Forms (Canada Law Book's comprehensive collection of legal forms and precedents).
Speak annually at the University of Western Ontario's Commercial Aviation Management Program on the subject of aircraft purchase, sale and leasing and aircraft registration and airworthiness.