Jason is a corporate/commercial litigation and risk management lawyer with particular expertise in the construction and real estate industries and in aboriginal law.
Jason J. Annibale
He routinely represents owners, mortgagees, general contractors and others in the construction pyramid and assists McMillan's project finance team and P3 practice group in providing strategic advice to sponsors and project entities.
Jason also provides strategic advice and representation to corporations, lending and educational institutions, governmental bodies and others in relation to real estate and aboriginal law issues.
Jason's litigation practice includes other areas of expertise including product liability, transportation, and environmental litigation.
Through his work for insurance companies, Jason is also experienced in defending architects, engineers, surveyors and accountants against professional negligence claims.
publications and presentations
- Defended the North American consulting arm of an international automotive manufacturer against numerous lien claimants and obtained judgment on a cross-claim against a design builder in relation to the negligent design, manufacture, and installation of recuperative thermal oxidizer systems supporting a paint line for a body and bumper manufacturing plant.
- Defended a Crown agent against numerous lien claimants in a complex, multi-party suit in relation to two large development projects respecting the construction of a court house and a government office building housing tribunal hearing rooms.
- Defended a Crown corporation's competitive bid selection process in relation to the construction of a world-class aquarium against allegations of unfairness, conflict of interest and bad faith.
- Represented an international energy corporation in a product liability claim respecting the premature disintegration of piping product in a geothermal loop system.
- Defended a truss component designer from a series of complex, multi-party design defect and negligence claims respecting the collapse of barn roofing systems across southern Ontario.
- Represented a national gaming and entertainment company in a product liability claim respecting complex and numerous roof-top heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning units servicing gaming floor areas.
- Defended a Crown agent against applicants challenging a performed environmental assessment under the Class Environmental Assessment for Realty Group Activities and the Environmental Assessment Act.
- Defended a First Nation consultation process performed by a Crown agent on behalf of the Government of Ontario.
- Represented an educational institution in a matter involving the custody and handling of aboriginal remains.
- Obtained one of the highest costs awards ever granted to a Canadian government for an application hearing.
- Represented a mining company with operations in South America in relation to an internet defamation matter and obtained information respecting the identities behind assumed usernames from a third party chat room and bullboard host.
- Conducted the defence of a major Canadian railway against the cross-claim of a co-defendant where a child-plaintiff claimed for the loss of his legs after falling off a slow-moving train.
- Procured an injunction against an organization of independent trucking companies against interfering with the business operations of a terminal of a major Canadian railway. Also co-ordinated the co-operation of the Sheriff and the Peel Regional Police in enforcing the injunctive order.
- aboriginal law
- commercial real estate
- construction/real estate litigation
- litigation and dispute resolution
- product liability
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association (Construction Law Section)
- Advocates' Society
- Canadian Construction Association
- Toronto Construction Association
- Mississauga Construction Association
- Canadian Design Build Institute
- Council of Ontario Construction Associations (COCA)
- Building Industry and Land Development Association (BILD)
- DRI (Defence Research Institute)
McGill University, LLB
Queen's University, BA (Hons.)