Mike Reid is a business lawyer in the Technology, Intellectual Property and Privacy group in the firm's Vancouver office.
Mike has particular experience in intellectual property, information technology and entertainment with a background in communications and marketing. His practice focuses on intellectual property work (including copyright and trademarks), corporate/commercial law (often involving technology companies), privacy, franchise, Internet and entertainment law (with a focus on licensing and intellectual property issues). Mike also has extensive experience handling share and asset acquisitions with both private and public companies.
Mike continues to work with clients in various fields, including the software, video game and film industries.
- Represented for Plentyoffish Media Inc. ("POF") and its founder Markus Frind in POF's acquisition by The Match.com Group for US$575 million in cash
- Represented Markus Find and Frind Holdings Ltd. in the USD$25M Series A private equity financing of Cymax Stores Inc. led by Frind Holdings, BDC Ventures and Salman Partners in 2015
- Acted for Bit Stew Systems Inc. to secure a strategic equity investment by Cisco Systems, Inc. and Yaletown Venture Partners
- Acted for a financial services company in its acquisition of numerous business operations throughout British Columbia
- Provides ongoing advice to Hulo Films Inc. in securing and exploiting intellectual property rights for film and transmedia projects
From Franchisor to Joint Employer – Update on Potentially Increasing Liabilities of Franchisors for the Employees of their Franchisees
Tips for Startups – Understanding the Stages of Equity Financing
Tips for Startups - Understanding Debt vs. Equity Investments
Franchise Legislation is Coming to British Columbia
More Changes to Cyber Security Laws on the Horizon?
Chapters "Website Development" and "Website Hosting"
Medical Marijuana under the MMPR: A new crop of legal considerations
- Osgoode Hall Law School, Certificate in Entertainment Law - 2013
- University of British Columbia, LLB - 2010
- Simon Fraser University, BA - 2003
Year Of Call
- Called to the British Columbia bar - 2011
entertainment and media
privacy and data protection
food, beverage and agribusiness
media, communications and entertainment
franchise and distribution
Directorships and Professional Associations
- Director, ALO: Artists Legal Outreach and Education Society
- Former Director, Simon Fraser University Alumni Association
- Vancouver Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- IT.Can (Canadian IT Law Association)
- iTechLaw (International Tech Law Association)
- March 2015 - Business & Technology II: Technology Issues in Contracts, Speaker, CLE BC
- Overview of Privacy Law in Canada - Capilano University, Paralegal Program, March 2013 and March 2014