Mike Reid is a business lawyer with a technology focus, often working with founders and other executives from the software, video gaming, and entertainment industries, at all stages of a company’s life cycle from startup, through growth, to exit.
Mike is a trusted legal advisor helping guide clients through their various corporate process and business issues. Specifically, he advises clients on corporate/commercial law including intellectual property, franchise, privacy, and licensing. He also acts on transactional matters including purchase and sale of private company shares and assets, as well as equity and debt financings.
Prior to practicing law Mike had a career in marketing and communications working for a wide range of local BC clients. He brings to his legal practice a practical understanding of what is takes to grow successful business ventures in the modern economic landscape.
Mike is also an active member of the team spearheading the McMillan Startups initiative, providing tips, tools and programs for entrepreneurs and their startup ventures. Find out more and read blog updates at www.mcmillanstartups.com.
- Acted for Plentyoffish Media Inc. ("POF") and its founder Markus Frind in POF's acquisition by The Match.com Group for US$575 million in cash
- Acted for Markus Find and Frind Holdings Ltd. in the USD$25M Series A private equity financing of Cymax Stores Inc. led by Frind Holdings, BDC Ventures and Salman Partners in 2015
- Acted for Rostrum Medical Innovations Inc. in its Series A equity financing
- Acted for Bit Stew Systems Inc. in its Series C equity financing lead by Kensington Venture Fund
- Acted for Bit Stew Systems Inc. in its Series B equity financing lead by GE Ventures LLC and BDC Capital
- Acted for Bit Stew Systems Inc. in its Series A equity financing lead by Cisco Systems, Inc. and Yaletown Venture Partners
- Acted for Chongqing Zongshen Tianchen General Aviation Investment and Development Co., Ltd. in its acquisition of a 49% equity interest in Harbour Air, of Vancouver, BC
- Acted for a financial services company in its acquisition of numerous business operations throughout British Columbia
- Acts for Hulo Films Inc. in securing and exploiting intellectual property rights for transmedia and film projects, including Milton’s Secret
Franchise Legislation has Arrived in British Columbia
International Data Transfers to and from Canada
An Introduction to the New Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations (ACMPR)
From Franchisor to Joint Employer – Update on Potentially Increasing Liabilities of Franchisors for the Employees of their Franchisees
Tips for Startups – Understanding the Stages of Equity Financing
Tips for Startups - Understanding Debt vs. Equity Investments
Top Ten (Legal) Tips for Startups
Franchise Legislation is Coming to British Columbia
More Changes to Cyber Security Laws on the Horizon?
Chapters "Website Development" and "Website Hosting"
Medical Marijuana under the MMPR: A new crop of legal considerations
- Osgoode Hall Law School, Certificate in Entertainment Law - 2013
- University of British Columbia, LLB - 2010
- Simon Fraser University, BA - 2003
Year Of Call
- Called to the British Columbia bar - 2011
entertainment and media
privacy and data protection
food, beverage and agribusiness
media, communications and entertainment
franchise and distribution
Directorships and Professional Associations
- Director, Pacific Legal Outreach and Education Society
- Former Director, Simon Fraser University Alumni Association
- Vancouver Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- IT.Can (Canadian IT Law Association)
- iTechLaw (International Tech Law Association)
- March 2015 - Business & Technology II: Technology Issues in Contracts, Speaker, CLE BC
- Overview of Privacy Law in Canada – Capilano University, Paralegal Program, annual presentation 2013 - present