Dr. A. Neil Campbell
Partner, Co-Chair Competition and International Trade
- Co-Chair of the Competition and International Trade Law Groups and partner in the Energy Law Group. Member of the firm's Board of Partners, 2001 –2007.
- Competition law experience — over 250 merger clearances under the Competition Act and/or the Investment Canada Act including the Ultramar/Coastal and AIM/SNF Competition Tribunal proceedings and the Novartis/Alcon and Coca-Cola/CCE consent agreements; over 25 domestic or international cartel cases and related class actions; multiple abuse of dominance and other unilateral conduct investigations and proceedings including UCDA v. IBC, Paradise Pharmacy v. Novartis and DIR v. Air Canada (Gemini); advising on marketing, distribution, grey marketing, joint venture and compliance issues; and submissions to governments on competition policy issues.
- Energy law experience — electricity market issues including in relation to generation, loads, imports/exports, renewables/conservation, procurement contracts and regulatory matters; as well as competition and foreign investment issues in the oil and gas sector.
- Trade law experience — anti-dumping and subsidy proceedings; NAFTA, WTO and Canadian Internal Trade Agreement matters; export/import controls including CBSA v. Leblanc and Lafrance criminal and civil proceedings; trade sanctions including Cuba and other issues under the Foreign Extraterritorial Measures Act; foreign corrupt practices (the Corruption of Foreign Public Officials Act); investor-state disputes under NAFTA and bilateral investment treaties (including representation of the auto sector in the Ethyl (MMT) case); and lobbying on trade policy issues.
- Industry expertise — worked on cases in most industries with particular emphasis on financial services, natural resources, media and communications, information technology, transportation, pharmaceuticals and chemicals, food and beverage, and other industrial and consumer products.
- Public sector experience — Chair (part-time) of the OEB Market Surveillance Panel which monitors the operation of the wholesale electricity markets in Ontario (2007–2012); counsel to the CRTC on Canwest/Alliance Atlantis and the proposed BCE Privatization foreign ownership reviews; counsel to the Competition Bureau on the review of BHP Billiton/Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan; member of the Competition Bureau's External Working Group on Reform of the Conspiracy Offence; and member of the Regulatory Issues Advisory Group for the federal government's Payment Systems Task Force.
- Public policy activity — numerous submissions to Canadian parliamentary committees and government agencies in respect of competition law reforms as counsel to the Competition Policy Group; over 25 submissions to competition agencies and other governmental authorities in respect of compliance with the ICN Recommended Practices for Merger Notification and Procedures on behalf of the Merger Streamlining Group; co-author or coordinator for multiple CBA Competition Section, ABA Antitrust Section and IBA Antitrust Committee working group submissions to agencies and governments.
publications and presentations
- Named one of the world's top 30 competition lawyers in Legal Media Group's Best of the Best.
- Listed as a leading lawyer in Chambers Global, International Who's Who of Competition Lawyers, Practical Law Company (PLC) Which Lawyer, Guide to the World's Leading International Trade Lawyers, Lexpert, Best Lawyers in Canada, The Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada, The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada and other directories
- Foreign Corrupt Practices – The Growth and Limitations of Canadian Enforcement Activity (2013)
- Monitoring Ontario Electricity Markets, Energy and Law Policy (2011)
- Effective Use of Economic Experts in International Arbitration: Counsel's Role and Perspective, Chapter 8, EU and US Antitrust Arbitration, Vol. 2 (2011)
- "The long climb to the Everest summit: some suggestions for the evolution of unilateral conduct laws" — with William Rowley, Global Competition Review, Vol. 13:5 (May 2010)
- "The Americanization of Canada's Competition Act" — with Sorcha O'Carroll, 48 Canadian Business Law Journal (2010)
- "Canada Modernizes Its Resale Price Maintenance Rules" — with Larry Markowitz, The Antitrust Counselor, Vol. 4:1 (September 2009)
- "The Internationalization of Unilateral Conduct Laws: Conflict, Comity, Cooperation and/or Convergence" — with William Rowley, 75 Antitrust Law Journal (2008-2009)
- A Transatlantic Assessment of the Evolving Use of Behavioural Merger Remedies, Chapter 5, Handbook of Research in Trans-Atlantic Antitrust (2006)
- "Canada" chapter of International Protection of Foreign Investment — with Robert Wisner (Yorkhill, 2nd ed., annual looseleaf)
- "Private Litigation Over Reviewable Practices: A Cost-Benefit Analysis" — with William Rowley, report prepared for the Competition Policy Group (2001)
- "Best Practices for the Review of International Mergers: a discussion draft" — with William Rowley, Janet McDavid, Phillip Proger and Michael Reynolds, published in Global Competition Review (October / November 2001), and used by the International Competition Network's Merger Working Group as an input for developing the Recommended Practices for Merger Notification Procedures
- Merger Law and Practice: The Regulation of Mergers Under the Competition Act (Carswell, 1997)
- Published over 70 articles on competition, trade and investment topics
- Presentations to the OECD, the NAFTA Working Group on Trade and Competition, the Pacific Economic Cooperation Council, the International Competition Policy Advisory Committee to the United States Department of Justice, and the Industry Committee of the Canadian Parliament
- advertising and marketing
- foreign investment review
- international business and trade law
- public policy and government relations
- Canadian Bar Association – member of the Competition Law Section and the International Law Section
- American Bar Association – member of the Section of Antitrust Law (and its International Task Force) and the International Law Section
- International Bar Association – Past-Chair of the Antitrust Committee; Co-chair of its Merger Working Group; member of the Legal Practice Division Council
- Non-governmental advisor to the Cartel Working Group of the International Competition Network
- Member of the CD Howe Institute Competition Policy Council
- Member of the Antitrust and Trade Regulation Report editorial board
- Member of the editorial advisory board of the IBA's Business Law International journal
Called to the Ontario bar
University of Toronto, SJD (Competition Law) – (Governor General's Medal; study of Canada's merger review system won the Alan Marks Medal for best graduate thesis)
Osgoode Hall Law School, LLB/MBA (dual gold medallist and Governor General's Medal)
Certified Management Accountant - (National Gold Medalist),
University of Western Ontario, HBA (Ivey Business School gold medallist)
Taught at the University of Western Ontario, (Ivey Business School), York University, Osgoode Hall Law School and University of Toronto,