Scott Maidment is one of Canada's leading litigation counsel, and has appeared before trial and appellate courts across the country. He has been repeatedly listed in the Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, the Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers in Canada, and the Lexpert/Report on Business - Leading Litigation Lawyers. Scott is known especially for his work in class actions and complex cases, particularly for companies in the life sciences industry. His trial and appellate practice has covered a wide range of legal disputes in a number of economic sectors. He has conducted trials, arbitrations, applications and appeals involving issues of contract, competition law, negligence, insurance law, defamation, employment law, real estate, constitutional law, human rights, and transportation law.
Scott's strengths as an advocate have been noted in numerous peer review publications. Reviewers have described Scott as a "top-notch advocate" and a "quite brilliant strategist" who "inspires confidence". Reviewers have noted his "impressive presence in the courtroom", his "calmness under pressure" and his "technical excellence". Scott enjoys an AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
A skilled trial lawyer, Scott has served as a trial advocacy instructor for the Advocates' Societ, the Attorney General of Canada and the United Nations. He has also served as an Adjunct Professor of trial practice at Osgoode Hall Law School, and has been a Team Leader and Instructor at Osgoode's Intensive Trial Advocacy Workshop. Scott is presently the Secretary of the Advocates' Society and has served as Chair of the Society's Standing Committee on Advocacy and Practice (SCAP) and Chair of the Society’s Education Committee. Scott speaks and writes regularly on topics related to trial advocacy. He is also a co-author of Product Liability: Canadian Law and Practice, the comprehensive work on product liability litigation published by Canada Law Book.
Scott's international reputation for excellence is reflected by his inclusion in Best Lawyers, Chambers Canada, Lexpert, Euromoney's Guide to the World's Leading Product Liability Lawyers, The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers, The International Who's Who of Life Sciences Lawyers, and The International Who's Who of Product Liability Lawyers. Scott has been repeatedly named one of the top 30 product liability lawyers in the world by Legal Media Group's The Best of the Best.
Selected Superior Court and Appellate Decisions:
- Player v. Janssen-Ortho Inc (2014), BCSC 1122.
- Main v. Cadbury Schweppes plc (2011), 300 B.C.A.C. 302 (BCCA).
- Main v. Cadbury Schweppes plc (2010), 8 B.C.L.R. (5th) 305, 92 C.P.C. (6th) 95 (BCSC).
- 1092072 Ontario Inc. (c.o.b. Elfe Juvenile Products) v. GCAN Insurance Co. (2009), 74 C.C.L.I. (4th) 10 (Ont CA).
- Osmun v. Cadbury Adams Canada Inc. (2009), 85 C.P.C. (6th) 148 (Ont SCJ)
- Sollen v. Pfizer Canada Inc. (2008), 290 D.L.R. (4th) 603; 55 C.P.C. (6th) 340 (Ont SCJ).
- Lincoln General Insurance Co. v. Insurance Corp. of British Columbia (2008), 64 C.C.L.I. (4th) 16 (Ont CA).
- Boehringer Ingelheim (Canada) Ltd. v. Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health (2008), 243 O.A.C. 200 (Ont Div Ct).
- Sollen v. Pfizer Canada Inc. (2008), 63 C.P.C. (6th) 1; 305 D.L.R. (4th) 184 (Ont CA).
- Sollen v. Pfizer (2008), 290 D.L.R. (4th) 603 (Ont. Sup. Ct.)
- Sanofi-Aventis Canada Inc. v. Apotex Inc. (2007), 60 C.P.R. (4th) 273 (F.C.T.D.)
- Lincoln General Insurance Co. v. Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (2007), 54 C.C.L.I. (4th) 213 (Ont. Sup. Ct.)
- Parlette v. Sokkia Inc. (2007), 27 B.L.R. (4th) 32, 46 C.C.L.T. (3d) 161 (Ont. Sup. Ct.)
- Englund v. Pfizer  9 W.W.R. 434, 43 C.P.C. (6th) 296, 284 D.L.R. (4th) 94 (Sask. C.A.)
- Rivard Instruments In. v. Ideal Instruments Inc. (2006), 54 C.P.R. (4th) 420, 302 F.T.R. 301 (F.C.T.D.)
- Keays v. Honda (2006), 82 O.R. (3d) 161, 274 D.L.R. (4th) 107 (C.A.)
- Colantino v. Kuhlmann (2006), 80 O.R. (3d) 21 (Ont. Sup. Ct.)
- Englund v. Pfizer,  7 W.W.R. 128, 274 Sask.R. 172, 23 C.P.C (6th) 136 (Q.B.)
- Cardozo v. Becton, Dickinson and Co. (2005), 29 C.P.C. (6th) 112 (B.C.S.C.)
- Croplife Canada v. Toronto (City) (2005), 75 O.R. (3d) 357, (2005) 254 D.L.R. (4th) 40, (2005) 198 O.A.C. 35, (2005) 14 C.E.L.R. (3d) 207, (2005) 10 M.P.L.R. (4th) 1 (C.A.)
- Sollen v. Boehringer Ingelheim (Canada) Ltd. (2005), 14 C.P.C. (6th) 344, (2005) 139 A.C.W.S. (3d) 854
- Parlette v. Sokkia Inc. (2005), 194 O.A.C. 22 (Sup. Ct.)
- Keays v. Honda Canada Inc. (2005), 40 C.C.E.L. (3d) 258 (Ont. Sup. Ct.)
- Oakville Hydro v. Tyco Electronics (2004), 71 O.R. (3d) 330 (Sup. Ct.)
- General Electric Capital Canada Inc. v. Deloitte & Touche LLP (2002), 29 B.L.R. (3d) 308
- Smith v. Brockton (Municipality) (2001), 106 A.C.W.S. (3d) 55
- Amcan Consolidated Technologies Corp. v. Connell Limited Partnership (2001), 107 A.C.W.S. (3d) 154
- Richter & Partners Inc. v. Westwood Mall (Mississauga) Ltd. (2001), 33 C.B.R. (4th) 292 (Ont. Sup. Ct.)
- Lincoln General Insurance Co. v. Insurance Corp. of British Columbia (2001), 27 C.C.L.I. (3d) 127 (Ont. Sup. Ct.)
- Apotex Inc. v. Hoffmann-La Roche (2000), 195 D.L.R. (4th) 244 (C.A.), 139 O.A.C. 63, 9 C.P.R. (4th) 417
- Bank of Tokyo v. Toronto District School Board (1999), 126 O.A.C. 101 (C.A.)
- Aguonie v. Galion Solid Waste Material Inc. (1998), 38 O.R. (3d) 161 (C.A.), 156 D.L.R. (4th) 222, 107 O.A.C. 114, 17 C.P.C. (4th) 219
- Aguonie v. Galion Solid Waste Material Inc. (1997), 33 O.R. (3d) 615 (Gen. Div)
- Atlantic Steel v. CIGNA (1997), 33 O.R. (3d) 12 (Gen. Div.)
- Capital Distributing Co. v. Blakey (1997), 33 O.R. (3d) 58 (Gen. Div.), 147 D.L.R. (4th) 372, 10 C.P.C. (4th) 109
- Klingbeil v. Worthington Trucking (1997), 36 O.R. (3d) 656 (Gen. Div.), 155 D.L.R. (4th) 469, 18 C.P.C. (4th) 255, 1 C.C.L.I. (3d) 62, 34 M.V.R. (3d) 222
- Litowitz v. Standard Life (1996), 30 O.R. (3d) 579 (C.A.), 143 D.L.R. (4th) 77, 94 O.A.C. 274, 5 R.P.R. (3d) 161
- Revenue Properties Co. v. Victoria University (1993), 101 D.L.R. (4th) 172 (Div. Ct.), 62 O.A.C. 351
- Wayfarer Holidays v. Hoteles Barcelo (1993), 12 O.R. (3d) 208, 18 C.P.C. (3d) 36 (Gen Div.)