Andy is listed in many domestic and international directories as one of the leading business lawyers in Canada. He is rated as AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell and has been repeatedly listed in Lexpert's Leading 500 lawyers in Canada and many other directories. In 2011 Andy was selected as one of The Top 25 Most Influential lawyers in a poll conducted by Canadian Lawyer magazine. He is most commonly recognized for addressing troubled business situations and complex financial transactions.
Quotes in directories about Andy include: "leading light who is as bright as day", "[having] a real creative streak and the ability to ‘always dig a bit deeper'", "admired for possessing capabilities to deal with the most difficult legal issues in any financing context", "immensely shrewd and formidable adversary", "clients were effusive in their praise", "a lawyer with a brilliant legal mind", "distils complex business issues into simple language", "no one doubts [his] academic pedigree and technical excellence" and "impressive street fighter and strategist".
Andy has written and spoken on a wide variety of legal matters and has spear-headed successful statutory reform initiatives. He has served as an Adjunct Professor of the Faculty of Law at the University of Toronto.
- Mobilicity (Telecommunications) – acting for successful purchaser
- Niko Resources (Energy) – acting for exploration and production company pursuing strategic alternatives
- Homburg Invest (Real Estate) – acting for reorganization plan sponsor.
- Crystallex (Mining) – acting for debtor in reorganization proceeding.
- Yellow Media (I.T.) – acting for senior lender agent on reorganization proceeding.
- Catalyst Paper (Natural Resources) – acting for DIP lender on reorganization proceeding.
- Nortel (Telecommunications/IT) – acting for bidder for patent portfolio.
- CanWest Publishing (Media) – acting for senior lender agent on reorganization proceeding.
- CanWest Media (Media) – acting for senior lender agent on refinancing.
- Trident (Energy) – acting for senior secured lenders on reorganization proceeding.
- Masonite International (Manufacturing) – acting for senior lender agent in reorganization proceeding.
- Air Canada (Transportation) – acting for senior lender agent on financing.
- General Motors (Manufacturing) – acting for interim lender on Canadian financing related to parent reorganization.
- Chrysler (Manufacturing) – acting for interim lender on Canadian financing related to parent reorganization.
- Quebecor World (Manufacturing) – acting for senior lender agent in reorganization proceeding.
- ABCP (Financial Services) – acting for major financial institution.
- BCE (Telecommunications) – acting for bondholders opposing takeover transaction.
- Stelco (Manufacturing) – acting for bondholders and reorganization plan sponsors.
- Sam the Record Man (Media/Real Estate) – acting on wind-down of family business.
- Teleglobe (Telecommunications) – acting for lenders on litigation over major financing transaction.
- Consumers Packaging (Manufacturing) – acting for debtor on reorganization proceeding.
- Tembec (Natural Resources) – acting for supporting bondholders committee on arrangement proceeding.
- JTI MacDonald Corp. (Consumer Products) – acting for provincial government on reorganization proceeding.
- Canadian Airlines (Transportation) – acting for senior lender agent on reorganization proceeding.
- Saskatchewan Wheat Pool (Agriculture) – acting for senior lender agent on financing.
- Canada 3000 (Transportation) – acted for trustee in bankruptcy in major liquidation proceeding.
Seven McMillan lawyers appear in Lexpert's Special Edition on Canada's Leading Litigation Lawyers 2016
Assigning Contracts in Canadian Insolvency Proceedings
How a Debtor Should use its Reorganization Powers
The Indalex Decision: Wake-up Call? False Alarm?
Chasing Gold: The Crystallex Story
A Comment on Indalex
Demanding Repayment of Loans and Reasonable Notice - Back to the Future
Recent Development in Insolvency & Financial Restructuring
Demanding repayment of loans and reasonable notice – Back to the future
Re Indalex Limited: New Pension Deficiency Wrinkles for Financiers
Insolvency and Financial Restructuring: Recent Developments of Importance
- University of Toronto, JD - 1976
- University of Toronto, University College, BA - 1973
Year Of Call
- Called to the Ontario bar - 1979
acquisitions and divestitures
restructuring and insolvency
banking, finance and insurance
private equity - buyouts & venture capital investment
media, communications and entertainment
manufacturing, distribution and retail
Directorships and Professional Associations
- Canadian, Ontario and International Bar Associations
- Fellow of The Insolvency Institute of Canada
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Past Adjunct Professor, University of Toronto, Faculty of Law
Awards & Rankings
- Lexpert's Special Edition Report on Canada's Leading Litigation Lawyers 2016
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2017 – Corporate Law and Insolvency & Financial Restructuring Law
- Chambers Canada 2017 - Restructuring/Insolvency
- IFLR 1000 Financial and Corporate Guide 2017 - Banking and Restructuring and Insolvency
- Who's Who Legal Canada 2016: Banking
- Chambers Global 2016 - Restructuring/Insolvency
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2016 – Banking & Financial Institutions, Insolvency & Financial Restructuring - Litigation
- Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada 2016 - Banking & Financial Institutions, Insolvency & Financial Restructuring
- Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada 2016 - Banking & Financial Institutions, Insolvency & Financial Restructuring
- Lexpert Report on Business Magazine 2016 - Leading Corporate Lawyer
- Lexpert Report on Business Magazine 2016 - Leading Energy Lawyer
- Lexpert Report on Business Magazine 2015 - Leading Litigation Lawyer
- Chambers and Partners: Chambers Global – The World's Leading Lawyers for Business 2015 Clients Guide – Restructuring / Insolvency – Canada
- The Legal 500 Canada 2015 - "Leading Lawyer" in Restructuring and Insolvency & Banking and Finance
- "AV® Preeminent™" Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Who's Who Legal: 2016 - Banking
- Who's Who Legal: Restructuring & Insolvency 2016
- The Canadian Lawyer Top 25 Most Influential – 2011