Construction is a highly complex industry with myriad stakeholders involved in every project—from financial institutions to developers to tenants. With so many interested parties involved and millions of dollars on the line, the potential for disputes over costs, timelines and quality is ever-present.
Our litigators regularly collaborate with colleagues in McMillan's Commercial Real Estate Group, which includes one of the largest construction law teams in Canada. Working together, we understand the entire construction process, from the RFP and tender process through completion and turnover. Our lawyers are deeply experienced in project financing, performance bonding, insurance and related issues, which enables us to blend industry-specific knowledge with our unmatched litigation skills. Our litigators are diligent and tenacious, squarely focused on defending our construction industry clients' commercial interests before the courts.
Our clients include financial institutions, land owners, builders, municipalities, developers, engineering firms, construction companies, and suppliers. Our lawyers assist clients in litigating defect, lien, trust, delay, warranty, and other claims. We also advance their interests through arbitrations and hard fought litigation on matters including tendering, professional negligence and environmental law.
McMillan professionals help clients lead by:
- Advising on design and construction contracts for large commercial projects
- Arbitrating and litigating defect, lien, delay, performance bonds, warranty, breach of trust, and collection claims
- Advising on financing and security enforcement matters
- Defending parties against claims arising from RFP processes
- Litigating priority disputes with mortgagees and other creditors