McMillan is Canada's largest premier construction law firm. We routinely act on behalf of financial institutions, land owners, builders, developers, engineering firms, construction companies and suppliers. From drafting tenders and contracts, to litigating defect, lien, delay, warranty, and other claims, to the financing and enforcement of security – our clients rely on us for our expertise and cost effective, practical advice in relation to all aspects of the construction process.
Our Construction Law Group has represented clients on the development and operation of complex commercial real estate projects and public and private partnerships. We have also defended clients and forwarded their interests through arbitrations and hard fought litigation at all levels of court in relation to matters that have included tendering, professional negligence, and environmental law.
- Ontario Bar Association (Construction Law Section)
- British Columbia Bar Association (Construction Law Section)
- Toronto Construction Association
- Mississauga Construction Association
- Canadian Design Build Institute
- Council of Ontario Construction Associations (COCA)
- Building Industry and Land Development Association (BILD)
- DRI (Defence Research Institute)
Construction Law in Canada
Co-authors Timothy J. Murphy and Leonard Richetti published Construction Law in Canada, the first Canadian resource to address all relevant construction law issues in a single, convenient volume.
Contributors include: Jason J. Annibale, Chris Bennett, Mary L. Flynn-Guglietti, Stephanie Hamelin, Jeffrey Levine, Luigi (Lou) Macchione, Dave J.G.McKechnie, Max Mendelsohn, Marc-André Morin, David N. Ross, and Nicholas Scheib.
Construction Law in Canada is published by LexisNexis and provides a concise, organized and informed narrative of the law that governs the development, ownership, financing and completion of construction projects in Canada.
For more information on Construction Law in Canada please click here.
- acted for Her Majesty the Queen in Right of the Attorney General of Canada with respect to four separate construction delay claims in excess of $30 million arising from the renovations to the Library of Canada, Parliament Hill
- counsel to the successful contractor-led consortium in connection with each of the following:
- the building and financing of the Hamilton Health Sciences Corporation Henderson General Hospital
- the building and financing of the Bluewater Health Capital Redevelopment Project in Sarnia, Ontario
- the building and financing of the Rouge Valley Health System Project; and
- the London Health Redevelopment Project
- acted for Brampton Sports Centre Inc. in connection with the development and construction of a 6,000-seat arena located at the junction of Highways 407 and 410
- advised in connection with design and construction contracts for large commercial projects, including:
- The owner/developer with respect to the construction of a $120 million warehouse facility
- Ladbroke Group PLC with respect to design and construction contracts with respect to the Airport Hilton Hotel
- Wellesley Hospital with respect to design and construction contracts for expansion projects from 1992 to 1995
- provided advice in support of the financing for following commercial real estate projects:
- Yorkdale Shopping Centre, Toronto
- 40 public private partnerships worth more than $10 billion
- Rideau Centre, Ottawa
- Yonge Sheppard Centre, Toronto
- advisors to The Hi-Rise Group for the last seven years in connection with design, development and construction of condominiums and commercial projects valued at $500 million
- represented a mine owner in resolving multiple lien claims and contract claims in relation to construction of mill and related facilities in amounts exceeding $50 million
- defended an Ontario municipality against a $50 million claim arising out of an RFP to build a multi-purpose public facility
- acted for a Canadian-based, international structural steel fabricator with respect to a series of claims arising from the construction of Terminal 3 at Pearson International Airport as well as the Canadian Opera House
- acted for an international engineering firm with respect to a multimillion dollar claim arising from the repair of the Rainbow Bridge owned by the Niagara Falls Bridge Commission
- acted for the owner of several goldmines in Timmins, Ontario and Fort Nixon, Alaska, with respect to construction claims in excess of $18 million
- represented an international food manufacturer with respect to a number of claims relating to the construction of its North American plant
- negotiated the terms of a land acquisition and design-build contract for a $15 million factory
- acted for the owner with respect to the erection of a new bio-oil plant and ensuing litigation with the erection contractor
- acted for an international, schedule "A" bank with respect to allegations of breach of the trust provisions of the Construction Lien Act in relation to the accounts of an international construction company covering 52 projects across North America
- represented a national insurance company with respect to a claim arising from the failure of the building cladding system following the construction of its 12 story head office
- acted for an international industrial tank supplier with respect to claims relating to the supply and installation of outdoor water storage tanks at a power plant
- represented the Owner of a 38,000 square foot mansion with respect to the termination of the general contractor and defending the resulting 23 lien claims filed, with an aggregate value of $5.7 million
- acted for a number of occasions for different parties with respect to plant expansions at the GM Plant is Oshawa, the Ford Plant in Oakville and the Chrysler Plant in Brampton
- representation of a national surety bonding company in the defence of a claim by an owner under a performance bond, where the grounds of defence involved material variation of the underlying construction contract, and insufficient holdbacks being retained by the owner
Publications / Presentations