A number of high-profile incidents over the past decade have brought unprecedented scrutiny to the way companies police themselves. Regulators, shareholders and the general public are demanding that organizations set up policies and procedures to ensure organization-wide cultures of candour and openness with all stakeholders.
Good corporate governance requires organizations to combine solid legal understanding, sound ethical judgment and business practicality. The consequences of ineffective corporate governance can expose officers and directors to regulatory review, and potential lawsuits.
McMillan's Business Law Group provides cutting edge advice to our public and private clients in matters related to corporate governance. Our lawyers combine a thorough understanding of applicable laws with best practices, providing clients with a set of corporate governance solutions tailored to their particular needs, regardless of the size of the organization.
We believe that the best way to avoid a crisis is to plan for one. When a corporate governance crisis does arise, we marshal specialists from across our firm to deliver a comprehensive solution that helps restore and preserve the confidence of all stakeholders.
McMillan professionals help clients lead by:
- Implementing board and committee structures/charters
- Assisting with responses to regulatory investigations
- Ensuring ongoing regulatory compliance
- Designing preventative measures to address hostile transactions
- Assisting with timely continuous disclosure
- Advising on directors/officers' liabilities, indemnity and insurance
- Assisting with shareholder relations and disputes
- Advising on the need for, and the establishment of, independent or special committees
- Designing internal and disclosure controls