While most of the world experienced a burst real estate bubble at the end of the last decade, Canada's market continued to grow unabated. Now, as the economic recovery begins to gather steam, real estate markets around the world are bouncing back. Cranes are rising, concrete is being poured and billions of dollars are flowing into new developments.
To operate profitably in the real estate sector, industry participants must understand the impact of the laws and regulations in a number of key areas. With expert legal counsel, you can enter into every transaction with an understanding of the process, structures, and financial and fiscal implications.
McMillan's Commercial Real Estate Industry Group is a recognized leader in providing real estate industry players with expert analysis and counsel to help them face whatever legal challenges they may face. Our lawyers' experience spans all aspects of the real estate industry including large development projects, commercial sales and leases, construction, corporate structures, planning and zoning, transaction financing and taxation.
We advise a wide variety of clients, including public and private companies, financial institutions, developers, REITs, governments and others. Our clients' projects have ranged from industrial facilities to residential and recreational developments, offices, hotels and shopping centres.
McMillan professionals help clients lead by:
- Advising on real estate acquisitions and dispositions
- Representing borrowers and lenders in real estate financing transactions
- Structuring government infrastructure initiatives and public-private partnerships
- Acting for landlords and tenants
- Litigating disputes related to financing, construction performance, and landlord/tenant contracts
- Advising property owners and developers on matters related to zoning, permitting, municipal planning, property assessments and expropriations