Owning and running an automotive dealership is no longer just about profitably selling or servicing vehicles. Today's dealerships operate as significant commercial enterprises, replete with all of the business and legal challenges that follow, from the showroom floor to the service bay.
Dealers are subject to a myriad of laws governing everything from competition to employment to marketing. Now, more than ever, dealers need expert legal counsel that can anticipate and respond to the wide range of legal issues they may face on any given day.
McMillan's Automotive Industry Group includes lawyers who bring a deep understanding of the automotive dealership business, and the laws and regulations that govern it. We understand the industry from every player's perspective—manufacturers, dealers, consumers, finance companies and governmental bodies.
Our focus is on helping automotive dealers run a profitable business while ensuring they comply with the law. Our clients include dealerships ranging from a single location and single manufacturer, through multi-line dealer groups.
McMillan professionals help clients lead by:
- Advising on dealer franchise agreements
- Advising on and resolving manufacturer-franchise disputes
- Assisting with the development and review of dealer sales, leasing and service agreements
- Advising on regulatory compliance matters
- Assisting with automotive finance and leasing matters
- Providing litigation support
- Advising on insurance, tax and employment laws
- Assisting with the acquisition, development and leasing of dealership premises
- Assisting with mergers, acquisitions and divestitures including related tax, estate and succession planning