While most business transactions progress relatively smoothly and to the mutual benefit of the parties involved, disputes are an unavoidable fact of commercial life. Pursuing remedies through a civil proceeding in the courts can be costly and time-consuming, so companies frequently seek out alternative dispute resolution (ADR) to settle these conflicts.
McMillan's Dispute Resolution Group is made up of lawyers who are deeply experienced in multiple facets of alternative dispute resolution (ADR) as a means to resolve disputes promptly and efficiently, without costly and time-consuming civil litigation. Our ADR regime includes conflict avoidance, negotiation, mediation, evaluation, and arbitration.
Our approach to each dispute is focused on reaching a practical, timely and commercially attractive result. We help clients define their objectives, weigh the advantages and disadvantages of each method, assess potential risks, and pursue the avenue that will best meet their needs. Our overriding objective is to help clients design and implement a winning strategy so that they can focus on the day-to-day work of running a successful business.
McMillan professionals help clients lead by:
- Preparing rules of procedure for administrative boards and tribunals
- Advising on court-connected and private mediations, and negotiations
- Preparing conflict resolution systems for universities and other enterprises
- Serving as chair and third-party neutrals in international commercial arbitrations
- Advising internationally based associations of arbitrators
- Identifying and providing qualified arbitrators and mediators
- Serving as advocates in arbitration and mediation proceedings
- Advising on reviews and appeal of arbitration awards
- Developing strategies and programs to minimize disputes and risks