Franchising and distribution have evolved to become two of the most dynamic sources of economic growth in North America. A strong franchising or other distribution network enables companies to grow revenues by expanding beyond their home markets to sell their products, services and customer experiences on a national or international stage. Meanwhile, entrepreneurs are provided a useful path to build businesses that have the support and brand recognition of established players.
Businesses involved in franchising and distribution face a host of different legal challenges from other enterprises. They have invested significant time, money and effort into establishing a brand that they entrust to others. And so, they require specialized legal counsel that can help protect those valuable assets, while maximizing their business opportunities.
McMillan's Manufacturing, Distribution and Retail Industry Group has extensive experience in all aspects of the business, from helping international manufacturers appoint local distributors to helping franchisors set up national franchising systems.
Our teams have represented some of the largest franchisors and distributors in Canada and the United States. And in the distribution sector, we advise major manufacturers, wholesalers, distributors and dealers on a full range of distribution matters.
McMillan professionals help clients lead by:
- Drafting franchise, distribution and sales representation agreements
- Structuring license and distribution arrangements
- Preparing franchise disclosure documents
- Advising on the financing and acquisition of existing franchise systems or individual franchise locations
- Assisting with the termination of franchisor/franchisee, distributor and agency relationships
- Advising on the transfer and sale of distribution businesses
- Resolving franchisor/franchisee disputes
- Advising and enforcing the protection of trademarks and other intellectual property