Sophisticated investors and fund managers are using a variety of fund structures to help deliver diversification on the one hand and specialized investment opportunities on the other. Fund managers must navigate an array of issues, including securities laws and complex tax matters. They must also run an efficient business, keeping operational expense at a level that ensures stakeholders see expected investment returns. Juggling all that requires a steady legal hand.
McMillan's Private Equity and Venture Capital Industry Group and Capital Markets Group have worked with many private equity, venture capital and investment funds, acting for investors, managers and sponsors. Having this 360 view of the industry helps us advise our clients on the full array of legal issues they may encounter. Our fund lawyers frequently collaborate with other specialists including Government and Public Policy, Tax, and Financial Services to bring a fully formed point of view to every client matter.
McMillan professionals help clients lead by:
- Assisting with fund formation activities
- Advising on fund structures and governance
- Advising on acquisitions and divestitures of investments and managing third-party funds
- Developing and implementing compliance programs for multiple regulatory regimes
- Providing advice on structuring tax-efficient funds
- Providing guidance on capital-raising activities
- Advising on relationships with placement agents and advisors