Understanding the complex world of public policy and government is essential for any major enterprise. Successful businesses anticipate the potential impact of laws and regulations that affect their industries.
Companies that develop trusted relationships with governmental bodies and influencers can turn this competency into a true competitive advantage. And of course, all companies that deal with governmental bodies must have a clear understanding of the ethical and legal constraints of dealing with public officials.
McMillan's Government and Public Policy Group knows government inside and out. We have a long history of leadership on government relations and public policy issues, built upon well-established relationships with key decision makers at all levels of government.
Our lawyers regularly advise corporations, agencies, non-governmental organizations, associations, and governments on government relations and public policy issues. We have frequently led the initiation of legislative changes in taxation, competition law, business law, and regulation of foreign investment.
Our experienced lawyers, and public policy and government relations professionals are recognized by clients and public office holders alike as leaders in public policy advocacy and government relations. Our focus is on creating mutually beneficial relationships between the regulatory activity of governments and our clients' business interests.
McMillan professionals help clients lead by:
- Proactively keeping them abreast of legislative developments that may impact their businesses
- Assisting in the preparation of submissions with respect to legislation
- Preparing them for public consultations
- Assisting with the selection of third-party consultants, such as public relations firms and lobbyists
- Assisting with public policy research and analysis
- Advising on lobbying compliance and ethical obligations
- Providing guidance on issues relating to conflict of interest and anti-corruption