As public officials pay closer attention to government finances, tax authorities in Canada and abroad are increasingly scrutinizing the affairs of corporate taxpayers to ensure that they pay their "fair share" of taxes.
McMillan's Tax Group is widely recognized as one of Canada's leading sources of guidance on business tax matters. We help our clients minimize the tax risks associated with their domestic and international business activities. Our professionals are experts in implementing a full range of domestic and cross-border transactions including corporate reorganizations, mergers and acquisitions, securities offerings, structured financing and derivative transactions, and leasing arrangements.
McMillan's tax lawyers also have extensive experience in resolving tax disputes with federal and provincial revenue authorities. We assist clients in complying with their tax reporting and compliance obligations, and help them understand the scope and consequences of Canada's constantly shifting legislative landscape.
McMillan helps its clients negotiate the complex world of business taxation by:
- Advising Canadian enterprises on international tax planning
- Helping foreign enterprises optimize the tax efficiency of their Canadian operations
- Guiding the tax structuring of mergers and acquisitions, and commercial reorganizations
- Advising on transfer pricing matters
- Advising on the tax-efficient structuring of corporate finance and capital markets transactions
- Advising on sales and commodity taxation matters
- Assisting with advance ruling requests, voluntary disclosures, audits, objections and appeals
- Representing them in tax litigation before the courts
- Advising on federal and provincial payroll taxes