The business landscape for investment dealers has never been more complicated. In Canada, investment dealers operate in a dynamic and constantly evolving marketplace where the scope and pace of change create new complexities and business opportunities.
Canadian Investment dealers are overseen by the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC), a national self-regulatory organization that is itself overseen by the Canadian Securities Administrators. IIROC sets industry standards and has quasi-judicial powers, with the power to hold compliance hearings and suspend, fine or expel members for misconduct.
McMillan's Banking, Finance and Insurance Industry Group helps both Canadian and non-resident securities dealers engaged in the Canadian marketplace to ensure they are compliant with the rules of the game. Our highly experienced professionals work with investment dealers to provide advice on key issues such as financings, M&A transactions, fairness opinions, reorganizations and conflicts of interest.
McMillan professionals help clients lead by:
- Advising on structuring, tax, compliance, marketing, and ongoing operations in connection with public and private offerings of securities
- Advising on regulatory requirements that govern securities trading and advisory activities
- Responding to compliance inquiries and representing clients before regulators, if necessary
- Assisting with the establishment, merger, acquisition or restructuring of investment dealers or specific products and services
- Advising on compliance with anti-money laundering and privacy laws.
Canadian Securities Law News (November 2016, Number 274)
Securities Bulletin and Cybersecurity Bulletin