Even in the most bullish of markets, private equity investments are highly complex. Since the late 2000s, a combination of factors, including a slow economic recovery and a difficult fundraising environment have come together to create a market in which investment activity, while steady, is even more complex than it was just five years ago.
McMillan's Private Equity and Venture Capital Industry Group is recognized as one of Canada's foremost legal teams focused on the large and mid-market private equity, and venture capital markets. Our lawyers understand the evolving domestic and international markets that impact portfolio companies' investments and operations. We collaborate frequently with our colleagues in McMillan's Capital Markets, Financial Services, and Government & Public Policy practices to bring a complete picture to every client matter.
We are regularly called upon to represent some of the largest and most innovative players in the market and to represent portfolio companies in a wide variety of industries. We consult regularly with government regulators to better understand and shape the regulatory environment.
McMillan professionals help clients lead by:
- Evaluating investment and acquisition proposals
- Advising target companies
- Structuring acquisitions and investments
- Negotiating and drafting acquisition and financing agreements
- Negotiating joint venture and co-investment arrangements
- Advising private equity funds and portfolio companies on day-to-day management issues, including restructurings, refinancings, employment matters and management incentives
- Assisting with exit strategies, including sales, IPOs or recapitalizations