Navigating the complexities of municipal policies and regulations presents unique challenges for participants in today's real estate and development market. Organizations need highly experienced and dedicated municipal law experts with the know-how, resources and reputation necessary to help them succeed and thrive in the complex municipal approvals process.
McMillan's Commercial Real Estate Group is a recognized leader in municipal land use planning and property development law. In fact, since 2003, we have consistently ranked as one of the Top 10 municipal law firms in Toronto and the GTA by Novae Res Urbis. This distinction – which reflects not only the volume and complexity of cases, but also the results achieved – is proof of the power of McMillan's results-oriented approach.
With extensive experience appearing before committees of adjustment, municipal councils, and administrative tribunals, such as the Ontario Municipal Board, as well as all levels of court including general division, provincial courts and courts of appeal, our municipal law team is well positioned to advocate for a wide range of interests in both the private and public sectors. That is why our team is regularly sought out by a wide range of organizations including corporate entities, developers, land and property owners, ratepayers, governments at all levels, religious organizations, and community and charitable groups.
McMillan professionals help clients lead by:
- Obtaining the full range of development approvals
- Coordinating the submission of expert reports, architectural and engineering plans, surveys, draft agreements and other documentation
- Representing clients before administrative tribunals and the courts
- Negotiating and drafting settlement, servicing, development, section 37, and site plan approval agreements
- Liaising with government staff and local representatives
- Advising and representing clients in expropriation proceedings
- Assisting clients with heritage preservation matters
- Obtaining environmental approvals and assisting with brownfield redevelopments
- Advising and defending clients in safety code compliance matters
- Representing clients on judicial review applications and planning appeals