The pharmaceutical sector is a unique and challenging one that meets at the crossroads of business and science. Drugs can take many years and millions of dollars in research and development costs to bring to market. Intellectual property rights are fiercely enforced and competition is intense. And regulation is rigorous, complex and prone to unexpected shifts.
While challenging, the pharmaceutical business can be equally rewarding. Companies that develop breakthrough drugs are granted a period of patent protection, which differs from one jurisdiction to the next, while generic drug companies are becoming more aggressive at filing and defending their own patents in the market. But regulation and other hurdles can cut deep into that protection period.
McMillan's Life Sciences Industry Group is made up of lawyers who understand the process of developing, testing and marketing pharmaceutical products. Our lawyers combine a thorough knowledge of the applicable laws and regulations with a passion for helping clients bring life-saving and life-enhancing drugs to market.
We count some of the world's leading pharmaceutical manufacturers among our clients. We also work with drug wholesalers and delivery companies, retailers, research organizations, veterinary product companies, investors, and others who touch this important industry.
McMillan professionals help clients lead by:
- Advising on patent and trademark matters
- Representing them in intellectual property litigation
- Assisting with mergers, acquisitions and divestitures
- Structuring financing arrangements through private equity, public markets and venture capital
- Advising on drug pricing and reimbursement strategies
- Assisting with regulatory approvals
- Drafting clinical trial, licensing and collaboration, and supply, manufacturing and distribution agreements
- Advising on labelling, advertising and distribution matters
- Representing them in product liability litigation and class actions
- Advising on tax matters including research and development credits, and transfer pricing