Blessed with the world's largest supply of fresh water, Canada has been one of the world's leaders in developing hydroelectric power for generations.
As hydro and other renewable power sources—including wind, solar, biomass and tidal power—start to take hold across North America and around the world, companies at the vanguard of this industry require legal counsel that understands where this dynamic industry is headed.
McMillan's Energy Industry Group has developed a particular focus on renewable energy projects. We have been at the forefront of developments in the hydro, biomass, wind and solar sectors, helping bring projects from idea to reality across North America. Our extensive renewable leasing experience is matched by our experience drafting engineering, procurement and construction contracts, and financings for dozens of megawatts of solar and wind projects.
We have served as counsel to both the Canadian Solar Industries Association and the Ontario Energy Association, and were counsel to the Ontario Power Authority on the development of the Renewable Energy Standard Offer Program (RESOP). RESOP served as the basis for Ontario's Feed-In Tariff (FIT) program, which today sees more than 12,000 solar farms tie into the province's electricity grid.
McMillan professionals help clients lead by:
- Assisting with participation in Ontario's FIT program, as well as RFPs and calls for tender in other provinces
- Advising on the Renewable Energy Approval and other environmental approval processes
- Dealing with distributors and transmitters on grid connection
- Negotiating equity and debt financings
- Performing due diligence and bankability studies
- Acting on behalf of electricity retailers in the purchase and sale of green power and renewable energy credits
- Advising on business structure options
- Facilitating real estate acquisitions, lease agreements and easements
- Structuring operation and maintenance agreements