The performance of the retail industry is a reliable proxy for a given economy. As consumers spend, money flows, markets run smoothly and jobs are created. Retailers—from department stores to drug stores to online merchants—have a front-row seat to a world that is full of opportunity, yet fraught with risk.
While they must continue to keep a keen eye on the day's sales figures, retailers must also look forward to anticipate the challenges and opportunities of their future. With a strong legal partner in their corner to help them navigate the challenges of competition and regulation, retailers can focus their efforts on delivering a shopping experience that keeps customers coming back for more.
McMillan's Manufacturing, Distribution and Retail Industry Group works with many of the leading North American and international retailers on their most pressing legal matters. We combine our industry expertise with deep bench strength in areas such as employment law, advertising and marketing, competition, and litigation to create tailored solutions for our clients.
We understand the tremendous change that has impacted the sector over the past two decades. Our lawyers have significant experience helping retailers succeed in the world of e-commerce and high-performing supply chains. And we understand how marketing techniques have evolved, again driven largely by the Internet.
McMillan professionals help clients lead by:
- Advising on marketing, advertising, contest and promotion regulations
- Advising on trade and cross-border commerce including imports, tariffs and customs
- Advising on tax matters including transfer pricing
- Executing mergers, acquisitions and divestitures
- Advising on real estate matters including leasing, acquisition, financing and development
- Assisting with privacy, security and consumer protection issues
- Assisting with labour and employment matters
- Advising on franchise and distribution law
- Assisting with litigation and dispute resolution