The relationship between companies and their stakeholders has undergone a significant shift in recent years. It is an evolution that has impacted public and private companies alike, and emerging class actions for secondary market disclosure will impact these relationships even further.
McMillan has been at the forefront of these changes, working with our clients on their most challenging securities and corporate governance matters, including shareholder disputes, class actions, fiduciary obligations and banking disputes. We have defended our clients' commercial interests at all levels of court including the Supreme Court of Canada and before securities regulators.
We act for a variety of stakeholders including corporations, shareholders, directors, officers, debenture holders, acquirers, targets, and strategic investors seeking corporate change. We are frequently called upon to advise boards of directors and senior management on strategies to minimize the risk of litigation in contentious circumstances. And when our clients are faced with litigation, we mount a vigorous and complete defence aimed at protecting their best interests and aligning with their corporate strategy.
McMillan professionals help clients lead by:
- Advising on shareholder disputes, as well as director and officer liability
- Representing bidders and target companies in change of control transactions, and merger and acquisition disputes including post-closing
- Advising and representing investment dealers, securities advisors, exchanges and other market participants on securities industry-related issues and claims in civil litigation, arbitration and mediation
- Completing plans of arrangement for public companies
- Advising directors on fiduciary duties
- Defending officers and directors against insider trading allegations
- Litigating limited liability and general liability disputes between partners