The structuring and formation of private equity funds has evolved with the requirements of institutional investors and fund managers and requires experienced fund and tax counsel.
McMillan's Private Equity and Venture Capital Industry Group has extensive experience serving as counsel to sponsors and managers in the formation and operation of private equity funds. Our lawyers maintain in-depth, current market knowledge of the deal terms and trends that drive the industry. We frequently collaborate with McMillan colleagues in speciality areas such as Capital Markets, Government and Public Policy, and Financial Services to bring a fully informed point of view to every client matter.
Our clients work across all major private equity strategies, including buyouts, venture capital, growth, distressed, funds of funds, and sector-specific funds. We have worked with general partners and limited partners forming new funds, as well as boutiques and large, institutionally sponsored private equity businesses investing in Canada and around the world.
McMillan professionals help clients lead by:
- Advising on Funds Formation strategies and structures
- Negotiating and drafting fund documentation including partnership and subscription agreements
- Providing tax planning counsel
- Advising on disclosure requirements
- Advising on applicable securities laws and regulations
- Advising on the operation of Funds at different stages in their life-cycle, including fund amendments and terminations