Today's telecommunications industry looks nothing like it did 20 years ago. The sector has rapidly evolved as new players enter the market and traditional participants branch out into areas like content provision. Meanwhile, ever-improving wireless technologies are creating new opportunities for firms to deliver better customer experiences and hasten the exchange of information, both business and personal.
At the same time, massive competitive and regulatory changes are posing new challenges. Today more than ever, industry players face a myriad of legal, regulatory and business pressures to stay one step ahead of their competitors.
McMillan's Applied Technology Industry Group provides a wide range of legal services to help telecommunications companies meet this change head-on. Our legal teams have deep industry experience assisting clients on a full range of issues, including acquisitions and sales, corporate reorganizations, regulatory matters, licensing, and industry-specific commercial arrangements.
Our clients include Canadian and international wireline and wireless providers, satellite carriers, mobile and fixed wireless networks, cable operators, resellers, Internet and e-commerce services, private equity investors and financial institutions, regulators, and governments both in Canada and overseas.
McMillan professionals help clients lead by:
- Advising on regulation and licensing matters
- Providing Canadian regulatory advice regarding Canadian and US public offerings and cross-border financings for Canadian and multinational telecommunications service providers
- Negotiating and preparing telecommunications-related agreements including inter-carrier and customer agreements, Internet access agreements, voice and data systems agreements and distribution agreements
- Making submissions to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) and the Competition Bureau regarding telecommunications resale and telephone company activities
- Acting on mergers, acquisitions and divestitures of telecommunications service providers
- Advising on domestic and international telecommunications resale rules
- Acting for owners of television and radio stations in regulatory and competition matters