|As "America's Canadian Law Firm," McMillan is committed to serving the Canadian legal needs of American business and exceeding our American clients' service expectations. We have developed a deep understanding of the differences between Canadian and American law and business that affect Canadian-based and cross-border transactions. Over the past 100 years, we have won the confidence of Fortune 500 companies and major US law firms; our American-based clientele has grown to become a significant and important part of our practice.
key Canadian and cross-border services to US-based clients
We have developed particular expertise in cross-border corporate finance transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and private and public capital market activities. We regularly represent US-based clients, their Canadian operations, and US law firms, advising on:
- the Canadian components of North American acquisitions and finance transactions (including antitrust, foreign investment review and other regulatory advice);
- tax and other matters relevant to cross-border acquisitions and financings and to establishing and maintaining operations in Canada;
- cross-border bankruptcies and restructurings; and
- complex litigation, including class action defence work.
In addition, we regularly:
- provide Canadian business practice advice and general representation on day-to-day commercial matters to US-based corporations and their Canadian operating subsidiaries;
- provide highly specialized services such as outsourcing arrangements, trade law (including trade disputes and dumping inquiries), transfer pricing and advance pricing agreements; and
- lobby all levels of government.
As a leading Canadian business law firm, McMillan is also highly skilled in many specialized areas of corporate law, including intellectual property, environmental, insurance, commercial real estate and labour & employment law.
McMillan has relationships with law firms in all provinces of Canada where we do not have offices and internationally, enabling us to handle transactions that are national and international in scope.
Business Immigration to Canada
Duties and Liabilities of Directors in Canada
Employee Relations in Canada
Employment Standards in Canada
Privacy in Canada
Protection of Intellectual Property in Canada
Regulating Consumer Product Safety in Canada
Doing Business in Canada
Doing Business in Québec
Competition and Antitrust
Employment Law in Canada - Federally Regulated Employers
Employment Law in Canada - Provincial Regulated Employers
Insolvency Proceedings in Canada
Litigating in Canada
Litigating in Canada - A Brief Guide for US Clients
Private Equity in Canada
Secured Lending in Canada
Publications / Presentations
Michael H. Taylor
Herbert I. Ono
Daniel D. Dex