New entrants in the Canadian venture capital arena are disrupting traditional markets and conceiving new ones, while building wealth and creating jobs for early-stage businesses at the leading edge of biotechnology, clean technology, software and telecommunications. Whether you are launching a new business, or you lead a venture capital fund looking for the next big idea, you need the kind of legal assistance that will help you manage the risks and seize the opportunities of the venture capital business.
McMillan's Private Equity and Venture Capital Industry Group has been an active participant in the venture capital markets for years. We are known for our commitment to executing transactions efficiently using teams of lawyers who understand the markets in which our clients compete.
Our lawyers work closely with emerging companies throughout their development, providing timely and practical advice on intellectual property, corporate and commercial matters, financing and employment. In addition to our Canadian fund clients, we work with a number of US funds on matters related to their Canadian holdings.
McMillan professionals help clients lead by:
- Performing due diligence on prospective portfolio companies
- Structuring and forming venture capital funds, including fund governance, and general and limited partnership arrangements
- Structuring and implementing Canadian and cross-border venture capital investments on behalf of funds and emerging companies
- Advising on exit strategies
- Advising portfolio companies on strategic, operational and intellectual property matters
- Providing tax advice