As urban populations grow, the management of solid waste has become a highly complex and contentious issue. Environmental and land use regulations have become more stringent, aimed at protecting the public's health, while local opposition to proposed waste treatment facilities has become increasingly well-organized.
At the same time, however, there are also significant opportunities as municipal governments turn to private enterprise to deliver such essential services. For companies that manage the treatment of waste, taking advantage of these new opportunities while maintaining compliance with the myriad of regulations can be a daunting task. But with expert legal advice and industry knowledge in their corner, companies can successfully pursue new revenue streams that serve the dual purpose of meeting public needs while delivering value to their own shareholders.
McMillan's Infrastructure Industry Group has deep experience in the area of waste treatment. Our commitment to this sector comes from many years of experience advocating for the interests of public and private companies, communities, citizens' groups and government regulators.
Our lawyers have worked extensively across all areas of waste treatment project development and planning. We have significant experience developing compliance management systems, and performing ongoing audits to ensure compliance. And we are deeply experienced in helping governments and enterprises create mutually beneficial public-private partnerships.
McMillan professionals help clients lead by:
- Assisting with environmental impact reviews and permitting
- Advising on compliance with environmental regulations
- Assisting with the development of accident prevention strategies and environmental management systems
- Assisting clients in obtaining, implementing and maintaining ISO 14001 certification
- Advising on remediation strategies
- Developing RFQs and RFPs, as well as responses
- Negotiating contracts for facility siting, construction and operation
- Defending clients in litigation proceedings brought by government agencies and other parties